How do I love these cookies? Let me count the ways! Last week I mentioned my favorite cookie recipe, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, but these have to be next in line. Here’s why:
1. This was one of my Grandma Laury’s recipes. I love making recipes that were written out in her own hand. I find it special that I can enjoy something that she took the time to write down and keep and make.
2. They have a slight crunch on the outside, but are soft and chewy on the inside.
3. The flavor is just delicious- a warm and spicy taste- the stars being the molasses and ginger.
4. I think these cookies are just really pretty,too. The balls bake into the perfect little circles with ‘crinkles’ and sugar on top.
I have a very hard time stopping at 2 or 3 (or 4 or 5, actually- but don’t tell!!)
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp. soda
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp.nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Sugar (for coating the cookies)