I always look forward to that first wonderful taste of freshly picked summer squash each summer, because I do love this vegetable! It’s so versatile and there are many ways to enjoy eating it. You probably already assume that since it is a vegetable, that it is good for you. And this is true! But, do you know HOW good for you summer squash really is? According to whfoods.org, Summer Squash is high in copper, manganese, vitamin C, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, potassium, folate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K just to name a few!
So, what are some of my favorite ways to prepare and eat this great veggie? Comin’ right up!
Today’s version is roasted in the oven. It really could not be any simpler than this. When you bake the squash, the flavors become more concentrated and I feel like the taste is a little more bold.
You only need about 5 minutes to put this together, and only about 20 minutes to let it bake. I love to serve squash with steak, chicken, or burgers!
Here’s what you need:
- Squash (yellow or zucchini)
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
1. Rinse off the squash.
2. Cut the ends of the squash. Then, Cut the squash in half length-wise. (So, now you have 2 pieces from each squash) Cut each piece length-wise again. (so, now you have 4 pieces from each squash) If needed, you can cut longer pieces into 2 smaller pieces.
3. Place the squash in a little bowl and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil- just enough to lightly moisten the squash. Don’t over-do it. (start with less and you can always add more). Toss the squash so that all of it gets some oil on it.
4. Lay the squash out on a baking stone or other baking sheet
5. Sprinkle well with sea salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. Squash should be tender
(bake an additional 5 minutes, if needed)